2 1/2 c pecans, toasted and chopped1 c graham crackers, crushed (vanilla wafers, Oreos can be subbed if you do not like graham crackers)
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 tsp salt (if you can not handle the sodium, don’t use it!)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 c bourbon, brandy or spiced rum. non-alcoholic version: use almond extract, rum extract, or any other that may suit your taste. add a little water/juice to equal the liquid amount.
1 tsp vanilla
7 oz dark chocolate bark. If you prefer white chocolate…go for it!
1 tsp coarse sea salt (optional)
- Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla.
- Use your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Almond extract can be subbed for non-alcohol version… add water to the equal liquid amount. You can also try non-alcohol rum flavoring.
- Form balls by scooping a tablespoon size amount of mixture.
- Roll in hands to form balls.
- Place balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 2 hrs. Tip: After all balls are made, roll balls again with slightly water damped hands. This will make balls smooth before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate bark in a double boiler or microwave per directions on the package.
- Dip frozen balls into chocolate.
- Then place on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Optional: Sprinkle a few grains of coarse sea salt on balls before the chocolate sets.
- These freeze well. Take out of the freezer and let sit for 15 minutes. They are also good frozen!
recipe source: https://www.recipeoftoday.com/2020/02/pecan-pie-balls.html